Homebrewed Strawberry Rhubarb Berliner Weisse

In August, I found a yeast strain on discount at the home-brew store as it was nearly expired. I picked up a strain of Wyeast 3191 (Berliner-Weisse) and brewed in September. Around Thanksgiving, a nice pellicle formed and I put in 5 pounds of Rhubarb and 4 pounds of Strawberries. Finally, around New Years Eve, I kegged this finished beer. 

It’s my first sour beer and it came out great. It’s very heavy on the nose with rhubarb. The taste is a healthy mix of strawberry and rhubarb with a lot of of sour. It’s not insanely sour but I’d say one glass is enough for me at a time which means this should last a while. However, tasting this really has me excited to brew it again. I may use blueberries this time. Either way, I’m happy with this one! 

This week, I’m planning what to brew in January which will probably be a rebrew of this plus a Saison brett clone and my first lambic project. Thanks for following along on this home brewing adventure!

Homebrewed Strawberry Rhubarb Berliner Weisse

Here’s the recipe I used:

Screen Shot 2013 01 09 at 8 41 19 AM