A year ago, I wrote about sampling the top 100 beers in the world. I had 25 of the top 50 beers on RateBeer and 60 of the top 100 BeerAdvocate beers. I mentioned though that this was without really trying to sample top beers and happened organically. The same thing was the case this year. In 2013, I did normal drinking and didn’t try to tick ‘em all. I also traded less for top beers and sort of drank whatever was at tastings or available to me. I’m writing this first part not knowing how I did so let’s take a look.
Thanks Fuj for reminding me to look bad on the last 2 years in beer by seeing how many of the top beers I had a chance to try in this short time as a ticker.
In 2012 & 2013:
RateBeer Top 50: I’ve had 35 of the top 50 beers on RateBeer. (an increase from 25 last year)
Beer Advocate Top 100 (Most Popular): I’ve had 90 of the top 100 beers on Beer Advocate (an increase from 60 as of last year)
This year, it’s way easier to type out the beers on BA’s top 100 that I HAVEN’T had because there are so few now. Interestingly enough, I’ve had Morning Delight, Prairie Bomb, Atrial, Hunaphu’s Brandy barrel offered to me for Hill Farmstead but I haven’t taken them up on it because I’m just not trading as much. With the drop in trading, it may be that this list actually grows in 2014.
Here are the beers on BA’s top 100 I haven’t had:
- 2 Pliny The Younger
- 43 Morning Delight
- 48 Cable Car
- 64 Prairie Bomb!
- 69 Hunaphu’s California Brandy Barrel
- 80 HoTD Matt (but I have one in the cellar to open soon)
- 82 Bad Boy from Alpine
- 83 Atrial Rubicite
- 88 Baudoinia
- 93 Murda’d Out Stout (but sadly, I’ve traded for this beer twice and both times traded it away)
- 3 Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord
- 8 Peg’s G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S.
- 14 Kaggen! Stormaktsporter
- 18 Duck Duck Gooze
- 23 Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead The 5th
- 31 Cable Car
- 32 Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout
- 33 Peg’s G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.
- 37 Hoppy Birthday
- 57 Imperial Eclipse Stout – Elijah Craig (20 Year)
- 65 Churchill’s Finest Hour 2012
- 73 Bell’s Bourbon Barrel Aged Batch 9000
- 88 Bourbon Barrel Aged Hi-Fi Rye
- Cigar City Final Push Imperial Stout (my buddy chris has a bottle in his cellar that I’m trying to get him to share)
- Mikkeller X Stout
- Raspberry Eisbock ( have a bottle in the cellar)
- Good King Henry (Leighton from UK sent me a bottle last year. I just need to open it)
- Oak Aged Yeti (also have a bottle to open downstairs)
- Stone RIS BA version
- Old Stock Brandy Barrel
- Mikkeller George Bourbon Barrel (I had 2 other versions of this beer and both were fantastic! This is a stand out stout for 2013)